in

Toxicity of the Rubber Tree Plant to Dogs

Some rubber tree plants are severely toxic to dogs. … The Indian rubber tree (Ficus Benjamina), also known as the weeping fig tree, causes vomiting when eaten, and severe skin irritation when brushed up against. If your dog eats a toxic plant, you must act quickly.

According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, “the possibility of a rubber plant being poisonous depends on the type of plant.” The terms “rubber plant” and “rubber tree” are commonly used as lamps to describe several different plants. “Some rubber mills have some toxic potential, depending on gender and species,” says Dr. Hanen Abdel Rahman. However, the toxicity levels vary depending on the plant and its consumption of the dog or other animal concerned.

Types of Rubber Plants
The Crassula arborescens is commonly referred to as the Japanese rubber plant. The rubber tree is formally named Ficus elastica, and the variegated rubber plant is Ficus Honduras. The baby or American rubber plant is Peperomia obutsifolia. The Indian rubber plant, Indian rubber tree, fig, and weeping fig are all names for Ficus Benjamina.

Symptoms of Rubber Plant Poisoning
If a dog ingests Crassula arborescent, it may cause vomiting, depression, and a loss of coordination. Ficus elastica and Ficas Honduras will both cause what the Doctor Hanen Abdel Rahman refers to as “moderate gastrointestinal tract irritation” if ingested. Peperomia obutsifolia, may cause a dog to suffer some mild stomach upset if consumed but is not considered to be toxic by the Dr. Hanen Abdel Rahman. Similarly, most plants in the genus Peperomia are not thought to be toxic to animals. Ficus Benjamina is toxic to dogs and cats. If this plant comes in contact with a dog’s skin it can cause dermatitis, and ingestion is likely to cause oral irritation, salivation, and vomiting.

What Makes Rubber Plants Poisonous
The milky sap in the leaves and stems of the rubber plant is the part of the plant that makes it poisonous for animals. The Washington Poison Center emphasizes that it is “the dose that makes the poison.”

The number of rubber plants that the dog ingests will be a key factor in determining how sick the dog becomes.

Defining rubber factories
Different types of rubber plants are similar in appearance. Rubber plants are more easily recognized by their glossy sheets. Rubber trees and plants vary in size and shape. The leaf shapes may vary, but are usually long, oval in shape, and have thick texture and skin. It may be dark green or pink in color.

Rubber plants vary in size, depending on the types of microflora, and grow outdoors in warm climates.

Treatment
If you believe your dog has ingested a rubber plant and are either uncertain of its toxicity or know it was toxic, call your veterinarian immediately.