Abdominal pain can be a sign of a number of different canine health problems. it’s miles vital which you are looking for veterinary take care of your canine at once in case you do now not know the specific purpose of his stomach cramps. at the same time as your canine’s stomach cramps may also simply be because of an easy upset tummy, a few situations are extreme and may be deadly.
Symptoms and types:
- Crying, whimpering
- Abnormal posture (for example, the stomach may be “guarded” by bending, or forward bending so that the posterior end is higher in an attempt to relieve pain)
- Heavy breathing
- Abdominal swelling (may be stiff when touched)
- Diarrhea, which may be black (also referred to as melena)
- It may have vomiting if the stomach or intestine is involved
- Holes in the lining of the dog’s abdomen
- Stomach or intestinal viruses
- Feline infectious peritonitis virus
- Viral enteritis (stomach flu)
- Stomach or intestinal parasites
- Bacterial infection in the womb
- Liver, spleen and/or pancreatic abscesses
- Birth defects
- Abdominal shock, possibly involving rupture of the organs (hernia)
- Ureteral rupture (tubes holding urine), a pregnant bladder or uterus
- Congenital hernia causes organ retention
- Urinary or ureteral obstruction
- Kidney or gallbladder obstruction (for example, sedimentation of stones)
- Stomach and comet dilation
Your veterinarian will need a full medical history to begin identifying the cause of the acute abdomen. The history you provide may give veterinary evidence about the organs that cause sudden abdominal pain. He will also perform a full physical examination to see if the pain is really present in the abdomen and not in the kidneys or back. If your dog has abdominal swelling, the vet will use a fine needle to pull some fluid from the abdomen to send it to the lab for analysis.
symptoms of abdominal cramps
a number of signs and symptoms can be signs and symptoms that your dog is laid low with abdominal cramps. you can notice that your canine’s stomach seems to be distended or swollen. He may additionally whimper, cry, vomit, grunt, gag or try to throw up unsuccessfully. He may also seem restless and spend a significant quantity of time looking for an at ease position. you could observe he has diarrhea or, on the opposite stop of the spectrum, he may be constipated. If his situation is severe, it is able to be followed with the aid of tissue respiration, light gums, speedy heart rate, coma, or even loss of life.
Causes of Abdominal Cramping
a number of one of a kind conditions can purpose your dog to revel in abdominal ache and cramping. He will be suffering from poisoning, bloat, urinary stones which might be obstructing his bladder, a rupture of the bladder, stomach trauma, inner damage, peritonitis, acute pancreatitis or intestinal obstruction. in case your dog is pregnant, her uterus also might also rupture and purpose cramping.
identifying Your dog’s situation
it’s far important that you get your unwell canine to the veterinarian as soon as you note his signs. Time can be important within the event that your canine is affected by a condition inclusive of bloat or poisoning. each of those conditions can be deadly within hours of the onset of the preliminary symptoms.
Diagnosing Your canine’s situation
once you arrive at the veterinarian’s office, your veterinarian will study your canine closely even as asking you to tell him approximately your dog’s condition. he’s going to carry out a simple bodily exam which includes palpating your canine’s belly, taking note of his coronary heart and lungs, taking his temperature, and staring at him for any other possible symptoms of contamination. relying on your dog’s signs, your veterinarian may additionally prefer to perform X-rays in your canine to determine the exact circumstance of his stomach and whether or not or now not he will want surgical intervention.